02 June 2013

Sum it up Sssss-Unday

My intention was to join my sister Jenny, in blogging about our home school week on Saturday, which she calls, "Sum it up Saturday." Well, yesterday got away from me, so here I am today with a short blog about our minor dabble in home school this week. Eli and I are researching options and discussing how to go about home schooling. We're positive that we do want to keep the kids home and teach them ourselves, but we don't have a clear path yet. So for now, to keep our very intelligent daughter's mind active, we just do little activities as opportunity arises. 
Audrey really wanted to do some math with the abacus. After a while of just speaking some simple equations for her to figure out, I decided to give her a worksheet. It worked out better than I hoped since when it was done, she was ready for another activity, and had a sense of accomplishment. I think she thrives off of the completion of a task. I decided to keep all the equations working with the number nine. She then chose random numbers to add and subtract, and I wrote them out for her. 

Here she is writing down one of her answers. I love the look on her face. 

Asher and I watched with enthusiasm as Audrey worked out problem after problem. 

The hands-on work with the abacus is great, I think. I'm not an educated teacher, but I am pretty sure hands-on is the way to go, at least for this very busy child. 

Audrey proudly displaying her work. Okay, so her writing needs a little help, but she's only four. There will be time for that, and she got every answer correct.

The other thing we are starting today (which was also supposed to have been done yesterday) is a program called "Around the World in  60 Days." It includes the study of different countries around the world, and how we can pray for them, even though we're so far away. I hope this spikes our determination to teach our kids at home and helps us learn a bit more about what works and what does not work for Audrey. Although, each "lesson" is pretty short, so I don't know how much we'll learn from it about teaching. At the very least, it will be a fun activity, and will lead to more investigation about these different countries. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love ALL her expressions in every pic. And Asher's eye is looking amazing! Wow. We started Story of the World yesterday b/c I knew we wouldn't be home tonight. As I was planning for it 2 days ago, I realized how super short each "lesson" was so I got online and tried to find ways to enhance some of the lessons. On the bright side, its Summer, so these short lessons may be really nice. Anyways, I made a pinterest board of some things I found. I'll send it to you. Oh, and I responded to your other questions on my blog so I won't repeat here, but not sure if it tells you I responded so thought I'd mention it. Thanks for joining Sum it up Saturday!!! I'm excited! Oh, and I think I'll keep it going all Summer even though school will be hit or miss. It keeps me accountable and I NEED that. So I hope you keep posting as you use the Summer to experiment with home schooling. I'm excited for you guys. These are exciting days....right before jumping in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Story of the World, I meant we started Around the World in 60 days. Sorry

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the encouragement, Jenny. Audrey has always been so expressive. We never have to guess what she's thinking, haha. Yes, Asher's eyes look great. We will know better in about 3 weeks what the final results are of the surgery. I've already taken a couple of pictures of our Around the World (ATW) lesson from today, so I'll be able to post on Saturday. I will look at your pin later tonight, hopefully. Right now, I am off to make curtains for this very sunny and very warm "den."

      Delete
  2. http://pinterest.com/peasandcarrots/atw-in-60-days/

    Not sure if this will work but here's a link to my pin board for Around the World in 60 days.

    ReplyDelete