24 June 2013

Home Improvement


"Home-ownership is not for sissies." This is the title of a facebook photo album from one of my friends. If there's one thing I have learned in the past seven months, it's that she's RIGHT! But as Dave Ramsey says, "If you have money, owning a home is a blessing." I have also learned (as I anticipated) that it is so freeing to own my home. While we do have money in savings, we are making small improvements along the way and saving the rest of the money for actual emergencies. You never know when something will hit, so it's best to be prepared. With that said, I would like to show a few photos of what we've been able to do with our new home. A lot of what we've done has more to do with proper furniture, than with actually "fixing" the house, but it has made a difference to us. So here it is!  
I wish I had a before picture of this, and I probably do have one somewhere. But suffice it to say that the new tv stand and blue color have made this space look WAY better. 

The magic couch!
It's a couch, bed and storage all in one!
My favorite room in the house. It's a place for the kids on this side...

....and a place for business, crafting (please forgive the curtains in progress there on the ironing board and rocking chair) and entertainment on the other side. I love that the kids are not banished to their rooms to play with their toys. And, this room leads to the backyard where our small pool and sand box await their pleasure.

Speaking of the backyard, this may be the only actual fix on the house. The added on space did not have weep screed, so, we are making sure things get done correctly!

The boys' bunk beds! Callan isn't in there yet, but Asher was ready for a big boy bed, so we saved the step of getting a twin, and went straight for the fun bunks! The color is a stain from ikea that we LOVE!




Audrey's dresser. Can it get any pinker? She does not get to choose wall colors, so I thought I would let her choose the color of her furniture. She loves it, and that makes me happy, but gosh darn, it is SO PINK! Haha! The boys have the same dresser but we also stained that green to match their bed.


We needed a place other than the refrigerator to hang the kids' art and future schooling achievements. This is an empty, and oddly placed wall in our kitchen; the perfect place for such a need! Some sort of fun, childish sign would go well above it, but I just hung it yesterday, so, it shall wait. :) 

There is still a lot to be done, but like I said, we're taking it slowly. As time, inspiration and money dictate, our house will continue to transform into our home. I look forward to making it ours, right down to the little details.

No comments:

Post a Comment