04 March 2013

New Family Tradition

Growing up we did not really partake in family traditions. I mean, we always had a meal on big holidays, and we had Easter baskets, but nothing solid. Nothing that I can now continue with my children. For some families, I guess that traditions are not that important, and that's fine for them. However, for some reason, I feel like I really need to have something that our family does together every week, or at least most weeks. Something that we all enjoy and look forward to.
This evening, we invited over my mother-in-law (MIL) for popcorn and a movie. I made a batch of kettle corn using my brand new whirley-pop, and we all agreed to watch Disney's classic, Peter Pan. The kettle corn was gone in about 10 minutes, at which point I suggested we take an intermission to make some more. I was promptly out-voted and the movie continued. (Don't fret for me though, I made some more after the kids were put to bed and am currently enjoying the deliciousness.) I think the kids are still a little too young to sit through the entire movie without getting somewhat distracted, especially my two year old. On the whole though, it was a very fun evening. With a few adjustments (starting a little earlier and preparing the kids for bed before the movie), I think this will be a great, weekly family tradition. Maybe in the future, we'll have popcorn and board games, or some other fun, family activity, but for now, it makes me happy to snuggle with my family and just "be" with each other. :)
(PS - I also enjoyed a glass of red wine with my kettle corn. Classy, eh?)

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, hon. Your kids will treasure those memories.

    ReplyDelete