06 February 2013

Quiet times and Sanity

My third child was born this past December, and for almost the first month of his life, our family was able to adjust to this new addition with the help of my husband. He spent a year saving up all of his vacation time, and spent it almost all of it at one once when baby arrived. I cannot express how thankful I am to him for staying home with us. That times was precious and desperately needed. It afforded us the opportunity to not only get used to being a family of five, but to also introduce our baby to my family in California. On the whole, I think we had done a fairly good job at adjusting to this "new" life. Nevertheless, the first week my husband was back at work was terrifying for me. 

I had this notion that if I didn't keep on top of every single chore, I would surely drown. So I made myself wake up before my older two children. This was rather easy because my husband leaves for work around 6:30 a.m. and I am a terribly light sleeper. Not to mention, my newborn requires some nourishment fairly early in the morning as well. So by 7 a.m. I am out of  bed and begin my morning routine. It has occurred to me since starting this ritual, that routines aren't just for children, they're helpful for adults, as well.

The routine actual starts the evening before when I prepare the coffee pot. All I have to do in the morning is groggily push the "on" button and wait for the nectar to brew. While it's brewing, I put some toast in the toaster, drink a glass of water, and choose my starbucks mug of the day. (I have more than 30 Starbucks mugs which I have been collecting for about 7 years. I enjoy choosing a mug to reflect my mood that morning.) By the time my toast is buttered, the coffee is ready to be poured. My breakfast comes with me to my favorite room in the house. I think of it as a multipurpose/family room, but my husband likes to call it the "den." Maybe it's a guy thing. Anyway, I bring my coffee, my toast, my devotional and my Bible to the den with me. While I eat and drink, I pray, read and reflect.

It's such a peaceful time in the morning before the chaos of a 4 year old and nearly 2 year old invades. Don't get me wrong, I love the chaos, and I love my children. But this mama has benefited from having my own routine without the children to distract me. There have been a few days that I have decided to sleep in instead of getting up early. Every single one of those days has been more challenging than when I pull myself out of bed early. When I have my own time with God, and a cup of coffee, I am much more patient, kind, and loving throughout the day, than when I neglect the routine. Truth be told, I am also quite a bit more involved. What I mean is, instead of just watching my children play, I join in the fun more readily. I know my kids relish this time, as do I, and I hope that they remember these days better than the lazy ones during which I am more prone to simply observe.

And those chores I mentioned, well, I am actually better able to tackle those as well. I will say, by the end of the day, I am more than ready for bed. However, not surprisingly, going to bed by 9:30 makes it all the easier to wake up by 7.  All that to say, these quiet times, and my new-found routine, has done it's part to maintain my sanity.

1 comment: